Thursday, January 28, 2010

Drive a Tank Into a Movie Theater

This has been embarrassing. I drove a toy tank into the best movie theater in town.

Before I actually completed the mission I wanted to get some feedback from a worker first. A young woman whom I sorta recognized was the only one standing at the popcorn counter when I walked in. I had really wanted two people in there when I drove the tank in so that I could talk to one of them about what I was about to do and hear how they think they would react. The second person would have no idea. A real surprised reaction. Then I could compare the two. I asked the girl if anyone else was working and she pointed me in the direction of the box office. I told the slightly elderly woman in the box office what I was planning on doing and asked her how she would react.
"I'd just tell you not to shoot anything with that little gun on top." She said. I thanked her after she wished me good luck in there, took a deep breath and opened the door to the movie theater.

Kneeling on the ground, I pushed the tank into the theater and drove it up to the counter, sound effects and all. Then I looked up. The girl had an amused looking smile on her face and asked me in a confused voice what I was doing. "Driving a tank into the movie theater." I replied.

"Nice." She said. Nice? How is that nice? Silly, I can see. Weird, even. But nice?

Well, she was that kind of person who says stuff like that, so I didn't give her a hard time.

Of course she asked why, and I told her what I was doing. "Well, I better go write about it." I said, after she clearly was done with me. The few steps I walked out of the theater felt like so many more. At least the woman in the box office congratulated me and wished me good luck on the rest of our list.

No comments:

Post a Comment